Creating Successful ERP Results Through Instructional & Organizational Learning Design Processes
About this Episode
We discuss “ERP Organizational Change Learning” in this episode with Dr. Lisa Giacumo. We dive into how effective ERP organizational change learning can be an invaluable tool for business readiness, continuous improvement, and value realization.
We do know that ERP organizational change can be challenging. Effective strategy and alignment of a business within an ERP organizational change effort means addressing several factors which often include; empathic design thinking, proper evaluation, needs assessment, individual interventions, alignment of the organizational culture, and meeting desired performance outcomes. We learn more about how deliberate instructional and organizational learning design processes (with the help of state-of-the-art research and evidence-based practice) can contribute to your ERP success. So let’s learn more as we further explore these ideas with Dr. Giacumo.
Dr. Lisa Giacumo
Lisa A. Giacumo is an associate professor of Organizational Performance and Workplace Learning at Boise State University.
More about Lisa
Her research and teaching interests include diversity, equity, and inclusion, design to support global and cross-cultural workplace learning needs, the use of technology for workplace learning and performance improvement, and the preparation of instructional designers. She has worked internationally as an instructional designer, trainer, and manager for businesses, universities, non-profits, and NGOs.
Stream this Episode Here and Subscribe on all Major Platforms
We want this podcast to be the most useful podcast you listen to. And we need your help! Please leave us a podcast review!
- Nestell, J (2020), “ERP Organizational Change Success: It’s a Matter of Applied Principle” (https://nestellassociates.com/erp-organizational-change-success-its-a-matter-of-applied-principle/)
- Giacumo, L. A., Villachica, S. W., & Breman, J. (2018), “Workplace Learning, Big Data, and Organizational Readiness: Where to Start?”, In Digital workplace learning (pp. 107-127). Springer, Cham. https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-319-46215-8_7
- Giacumo, L.A., Johnson S., (2018), “Presentation, Manage Cognitive Load to Increase Training Transfer”, International Society for Performance Improvement 2018 Annual Conference, Boise State University, https://works.bepress.com/lisa_giacumo/31/
- Giacumo, L.A., Chen J., Cruz A.S., “Presentation, Mentoring, Workplace Learning, and Performance Improvement: Evidence, Evaluation, and Research Methods Updates from a Multiple Studies Review”, 2017 Association for Educational Communications and Technology Conference (2017), https://works.bepress.com/lisa_giacumo/26/
04:11 From an ERP organizational change perspective, what is the value of effective and efficient learning and development? I mean, why should anyone care?
06:39 Please tell our listeners more about this idea of “empathic design thinking”. What does that mean exactly?
10:48 You share online that “My work is grounded in state-of-the-art research and evidence-based practice. I keep abreast of trends, new practices, and updated findings, regularly.” How valuable is it for practitioners to leverage current research and long-standing L&D principles?
14:34 One of your areas of interest is Organizational Development & People Development. This includes such notions as Performance Improvement, Systems Mapping & Design, Workplace Learning Systems Strategy, and Facilitation of Workplace Learning. In general, what tactical pointers can you share in terms of “Facilitation of Workplace Learning” especially? What would that look like?
21:12 You contributed to a book, called “Workplace Learning, Big Data, and Organizational Readiness: Where to Start?” with Steven W. Villachica and Jeroen Breman. Can you share more with our listeners, especially in terms of organizational readiness?
24:55 Whether adult learners in organizations or children in schools, can you share more about the idea of “Cognitive Load”. You actually had a presentation titled “Manage Cognitive Load to Increase Training Transfer” with Sabrina Johnson. Please tell our listeners more about the value of this idea.
Presentation, Manage Cognitive Load to Increase Training Transfer, International Society for Performance Improvement 2018 Annual Conference (2018), Lisa A. Giacumo, Boise State University. Sabrina Johnson, Boise State University. https://works.bepress.com/lisa_giacumo/31/
32:00 Based on the following Presentation, would you mind sharing the conclusion of this study with our listeners?
Presentation, Mentoring, Workplace Learning, and Performance Improvement: Evidence, Evaluation, and Research Methods Updates from a Multiple Studies Review, 2017 Association for Educational Communications and Technology Conference (2017), Lisa A. Giacumo, Boise State University and Jie Chen, Boise State University, and Aurora Seguinot Cruz, Boise State University, https://works.bepress.com/lisa_giacumo/26/
37:29 If you were going to give advice to an organization regarding successful ERP implementation as a tool for business continuous improvement and value realization, what would you say in terms of learning, leadership, and culture? How would you summarize this conversation?
More Related Episodes from TheERPocj
- Episode 49 – ERP Organizational Change: Stakeholder Dynamics, with guest Samantha Jung-Fielding
- Episode 48 – ERP Organizational Learning with guest Mike Taylor
- Episode 44 – An ERP Critical Success Factory: Organizational Learning with guest Dr. Clark Quinn
- Episode 37 – Learning and Development and Human Performance Technology and its Return on Investment with guest Dr. Tim Brock,
- Episode 30 – Evidence-Based Performance Improvement with guest Guy Wallace
- Episode 22 – Effective Principle Based Learning with guest Alex Salas
- Episode 4 – Achieve Organizational Culture Change Success with guest Dr. Daniel Denison
- Episode 2 – Organizational Performance Improvement with guest Dr. Richard E. Clark
Episode 62: Industry 4.0: MES and OEE Value PropositionAbout this Episode In this episode, we discuss “Industry 4.0: MES and OEE Value Proposition” with Mr. Oskar Schwarz. Please join us as we dive into Manufacturing execution systems (MES), Overall Equipment...
Episode 60: Evaluating & Facilitating Positive Organizational Change MethodsAbout this Episode In this episode, we dive into making effective ERP organizational change through effective facilitation including data-driven change, team engagement and action, change...
Episode 59: Agile ERP Transformation & Enabling New Ways of WorkingAbout this Episode In today’s episode, we discuss “ERP Organizational Change: Agile and New Ways of Working” with Mr. Karl Smith. We explore business agility and what it means exactly to be agile....