In this episode, we explore the challenges faced by current-generation ERP systems and the proposed research agenda to address them.
We start by discussing the problems related to the architecture and implementation of ERP systems in the changing business landscape. We then highlight the importance of a holistic approach to addressing the problems of ERP systems, including those related to architecture, design, implementation, and usage. Our guest proposes a research agenda that includes improving the user interface, control of business processes, functionality, database/data model, infrastructure, and adaptation. By addressing these areas of focus, organizations can improve the performance of their ERP systems and enhance their overall operations with ERP Optimization. This episode provides valuable insights for private equity firms and stakeholders involved in ERP organizational change as they navigate the challenges of implementing and using ERP systems in their portfolio companies.
More About Benedict
Dr. Benedict Bender is an expert in digital platforms and novel business models, with extensive practical experience in international management, IT strategy, and technology consulting (including McKinsey & Company, Accenture, SAP). He achieves the practical transfer of his research results through his activities as a management consultant, trusted advisor, and author. Mr. Bender regularly speaks as a guest in podcasts, as well as in expert talks and panel discussions. He studied Business Informatics at the University of Potsdam, the Humboldt University of Berlin, and the University of St. Gallen.
- Bender, B., Bertheau, C., & Gronau, N. (2021). Future ERP Systems: A Research Agenda. ICEIS (2), 776-783. 40e43f1c0a51af49e6f58d39dcce88c25be8.pdf (semanticscholar.org)
- Bass, B. M., & Bass Bernard, M. (1985). Leadership and performance beyond expectations.
- Kragt, D., & Day, D. V. (2020). Predicting leadership competency development and promotion among high-potential executives: The role of leader identity. Frontiers in psychology, 11, 1816.
- Miscenko, D., Guenter, H., & Day, D. V. (2017). Am I a leader? Examining leader identity development over time. The Leadership Quarterly, 28(5), 605-620.
Episode Highlights Timeline
06:39 Benedict, I really want to focus on an incredibly important paper you authored; Could you briefly explain what the paper “Future ERP Systems: A Research Agenda” is about?
10:42 Segment 1: Challenges of current-generation ERP systems
- The digital transformation and the development of existing products and services have set new requirements for ERP systems. What are the problems related to the architecture and implementation of ERP systems, and how are they affected by the changing business landscape?
14:22 Segment 2: Holistic approach to addressing problems related to ERP systems
- So far, research on ERP systems has mostly focused on implementation and post-implementation phases. Why is the architectural design of current-generation ERP systems not receiving enough attention, and how does that affect the system’s overall performance?
19:12 Segment 3: Proposed research agenda for addressing ERP system problems
- What are the main areas of focus for your proposed research agenda to address the problems of current-generation ERP systems?
- How can improving the user interface of ERP systems help address the problems faced by organizations using them?
- In what ways can control of business processes help improve the performance of ERP systems?
- Could you elaborate on the importance of functionality in ERP systems and how it can be improved?
- What role does the database/data model play in the performance of ERP systems, and how can it be optimized?
- How can infrastructure be improved to address the problems faced by current-generation ERP systems, and what are some of the challenges in doing so?
- Lastly, how important is adaptation in the context of ERP systems, and how can organizations be encouraged to adopt new technologies and approaches?
37:00 The effect of AI on ERP Systems
- David Dau – Episode 80: Are You an Effective ERP Change Leader? Traits, Strategies, and Insights
- Paul Gibbons – Episode 75: The Science of Successful Organizational Change
- Julie Dirksen – Episode 64: Finding ERP Success with Organizational Learning Strategy and Behavior
Improving Business Communication In this episode we dive into a groundbreaking approach that's at the forefront of improving business communication and leadership: Answer Intelligence, or AQ. This innovative concept is reshaping how we understand and implement...
In this episode... We delve into the intricacies of integrating data into the modern digital landscape. Discover how to unlock the Digital Transformations Value that many leaders are tapping into. Uncover strategies and insights that have a profound impact on...
In this episode, we focus on the importance of courageous organizational communication for creating high-performance workplaces. Our guest, a communication professor and coach, discusses his communication-based model of courage that centers around four themes:...
Don't let ERP systems problems hold you back. Nestell & Associates can help you move forward with confidence.
If you’re looking to optimize the performance of your ERP systems and enhance your organizational change efforts, we’d love to help! Our team of experts can provide you with the guidance and support you need to overcome the challenges of current-generation ERP systems. Contact us today to learn more about our services and how we can help you achieve your ERP optimization goals.
About Nestell & Associates
Where People, Processes, and Technology Align
Nestell & Associates is a highly specialized IT and ERP change management consulting firm that serves as a business-savvy, tenured, and highly technical-proficient business partner to private equity firms. We provide expert vendor-neutral IT and ERP services necessary to support their business objectives. Our team of experts excels at organizational change, preparedness, and digital transformation success.
Our approach has been proven to be successful by focusing on key areas such as organizational culture, change, and readiness, we’ve helped our clients achieve their IT and ERP business objectives from improving IT security to managing complex transformational M&A initiatives.
We are passionate about helping our clients succeed and achieving positive outcomes. Our goal is to provide the most efficient, organized, experienced, and productive professionals in the industry to implement processes, resources, and technology that will give our private equity partners a competitive advantage and deliver real return on investment.